Monday 22 November 2010

Racers and the Rest

I seem to have upset more than a few individuals on a Cycling Forum I joined recently, although I cannot really fathom why such vehmence is shown towards an alternative view of cycling. Yet I am certain that the fault must lie with me for failing to judge the mood on the site. Is there an un-bridgeable gulf between the racers and the rest?

I have always held the view that cycling has since its inception, been a force for democratisation, indeed the fact that rich man and pauper were able to share its delights always seemed to act as a force for good in bringing groups together and providing common ground. I am therefore somewhat dismayed that the forum I refer to seems to give the lie to that. Were we to be out on our bikes....cycling along in the open air...meeting up with fellow cycling enthusiasts I am sure that we would deal with each other in a far less confrontational way than we do on the internet?

They may well think I look an utter fool on my Pashley...that my choice of clothes to cycle in is ludicrous......and that in not giving the impression of attempting to burst a blood vessel at every turn of the pedal, I show my lack of dedication to “real cycling”.

What is so striking to me, is that I hold the view that were we to meet in reality, and if I were to beat them up a hill, there might be a grudging respect for who and what I am, and even what I ride. Should they soundly beat me, which they seem to see as a given, and I arrived wheezing at the summit half an hour in their wake surely we would still be able to share a glass or cup of tea together and find something in common? What is it about the internet, that seems to allow the blurting out in text of comments one would never utter in the physical presence of another?

There seems to be an internet divide, in the UK at least, between those who consider themselves the cycling cognescenti in their brand emblazoned lycra, who ride for sport on expensive carbon fibre creations dreaming in their heads that they will be mistaken for “real cyclists” and those of us who eschew the tight fitting nylon, value reliable practicality, and glory in our limitations.

I average about 50 miles a day, with some pretty siezable hills negotiated, coming closer to 70 mpd towards the end of the week.  On occasions at the weekend I have found myself overtaking (on my Pashley) a veritable peleton of wannabe weekend domestiques (on their featherlight Colnago’s etc.) who have probably been tied to a computer desk all week and are suffering for their recreation and lack of regular practice. Yet on the internet at least, it seems that to admit to ride an old fashioned bike is to offer oneself up to ridicule.  

In truth I probably take a smug and mischievous pleasure in the image of being a 1920’s throwback……. In the real world of wind and road and bikes, I try to console myself that while they scoff,  beneath my moleskin breeks there lurks thighs of steel the equal of any of them….but I must confess that in the realm of the internet cycling forum, with its apparent herd like instincts and overwhelming mass of momentum, I have the urge to hide myself away.......in the deepest recess’ of my own virtual saddle bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment