Saturday 18 December 2010

Winter preparation

I have to admit to having been defeated today. Frozen roads, frozen tempreatures, and I had little desire for frozen face, hands and gonads. What then does a gentleman do when the snow is piled up outside and the road surface a significant challenge for even the most intrepid bicyclist?

Well staying tucked up warm inside, tippling single malt and planning his next European Tour is probably a reasonable approach, and one that I have most certainly decided upon.

For this year a quick Amsterdam to Lake Constance jaunt down the Rhine Valley seems to have captured my imagination. The intention to combine the pleasures of Amsterdam with the historical interest to be had from the border between France and Germany. I have my trusty Baedeker guide book....the 1903 version.

I have developed a love of cycle travelling according to out of date guide books. Here I must admit that I do not really like the current crop of guide books. I have developed a strong loathing for the of casual flippancy and inanity of Lonely Planet guides and the twee nonsense pedalled by Dorling Kindersley. I much prefer the style and candour of the older versions. A recent tour to the south caucusus found me using a translated version of a Tsarist era guide book which recommended the best brothels in towns along my route and made special mention of the quality of fellatio delivered in each one.....now thats what I call a guide book!

More of this once planing gets properly underway. Who knows I might get to plan a link up with some German chums watching my musings on this site and we could go for the odd drop of beer of an evening?

Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment